OTAGO-SOUTHLAND NZ ASSOCIATION OF RESOURCE MANAGEMENT ENVIRONMENTAL DAIRY FORUM
Friday 7th December Start 9-30am
To promote sustainable dairy farming by holding a one day forum where the latest research findings and farm management expertise is disseminated to people involved in the industry. Emphasis is on current and future environmental issues and how these can be minimised or managed by sound practical systems.
To be held in at the Invermay Conference Centre (part of the AgResearch complex on the Taieri ).
The aim is to firstly encourage NZARM members to attend but also technical and scientific persons involved in the industry (including Regional Council staff) and lastly dairy farmers. It is not a political forum but a technical approach to solving some of the issues of the current industry in the south. We would like to encourage people to come to the workshop from other regions.
Date and programme
To be held on Friday 7th December Start 9-30am for a cup of tea, getting underway at 10-00am sharp. Finish 4.30pm.
- Overview of Dairying issues in the south
- Overview of current and future dairying issues in Otago Selva Selvarajah ORC Overview of current and future dairying issues in Southland Scott Crawford SRC
- Technical papers and Best Management Practices
- Groundwater supply and water Quality in Otago Tom Heller ORC
- Responsible Nitrogen use Ross Monaghan AgResearch
- Managing Soil Fertility Jeff Morton AgResearch
- Diagnosing and Managing Soil Compaction John Drewry AgResearch
- BMP for Irrigating Effluent over Tile and Mole Drains Bruce Monaghan ORC
- Wintering management systems Riparian Management BMP Richard Fitzpatrick F & G Irrigation
- Efficient Water use in drier areas Ian McIndoe Lincoln Ventures
- Extension work and Catchment Management
- Lower Taieri Catchment Programme Nicola McGrouther ORC
- Dairy Market Focused-an Environmental Management System for Dairy Farmers in NZ Jim Barnett Dairy Res Institute
- Achieving Production and Environmental Objectives on New Zealand Dairy Farms Bruce Thorrold Dexcel
- Panel Discussion Dairy farm conversions & dairy farm expansion: have we got it right?
- Are dairy conversions and existing dairy farms that are expanding environmentally sustainable?
A panel of people will answer questions and discuss with the audience what the problems of expansion might be, and what needs to be done to ensure that the expansion in dairy farming is environmentally sustainable.
At this stage there maybe a small cost (in the order of $15 /hd inc gst) depending on sponsorship .
Registration and Information
Room will be limited so please register early with either:
Tom Heller Otago Regional Council , Private Bag 1954 , Dunedin Phone 03-474 0827 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Murray Harris Land and Forest Consultancy, 7 Harden St, Glenleith , Dunedin Phone 03-467 9257 or Mob 021 616 605 e mail email@example.com
Accommodation and Travel
Please note it is your responsibility to make your own bookings and arrangements with regard to overnight accommodation and travel.
Murray Harris, Tom Heller, Nicola McGrouther, Bruce Monaghan and Ian Brown ORC
15th October 2001.